Seminar Landscape Education for Democracy 2020
Are you a planning or design student interested in learning how to create more inclusive, open and democratic landscapes?
Then participate in the LED Program – an exciting way to earn credits and strengthen important professional skills.
- Our next open online seminar will start on April 1, 2020
- Sessions will be on Wednesdays from 17 00 - 18 30 CET
- The LED Workshop 2020 will take place in Lucca, Italy, from August 28 to September 5, 2020 with a focus on the reuse of the former St. Augustin Monastery
- For any further information please email us under info(at)led-project.org
- Registration will open in February 2020
Our project and learning activities
The landscape belongs to everyone. We should all have equal access to it and a voice in how it is used, valued and maintained. However, spatial planning education rarely includes considerations of democratic processes, participatory planning, community design and landscape stewardship. Furthermore, it does not fully prepare young practitioners to become leaders in promoting democratic landscape change and work effectively in partnership with communities.
The idea behind the LED (Landscape Education for Democracy) project, a partnership between 5 European landscape architecture faculties and the LE:NOTRE Institute is to promote awareness and empower young design and planning professionals to become more active in shaping democratic change. Our goal is to fill a gap in design and planning education and give students the opportunity to confront themselves with pressing issues of landscape democracy, right to the landscape and participation.
The LED course 2020 includes 13 online course sessions available to students at any institution.
Our course will start again on April 1, 2020.
LED in action - some impressions from our online seminar 2017
Information material and LED resources
Our information materials for the upcoming 2020 course are currently being updated.
You can access LED lecture resources via this link:
- LED 2019 Materials and Recordings (open access)
- LED 2018 Materials and Recordings (open access)
- LED 2017 Materials and Recordings (open access)
- LED 2016 Materials and Recordings (open access)]
- LED reading list
Please visit the documentations of our previous online courses for further information:
For further information on the previous intensive study programmes please visit the following pages:
LED Publications 'Partnering for Landscape Democracy':
- LED Process Report: Landscape Education for Democracy Co-creating a socially-engaged landscape planning and design education for sustainable development, download LED Process Report: Landscape Education for Democracy
- Zingonia - Partnering for Landscape Democracy
- Kassel - Partnering for Landscape Democracy (both free download)
LED in action - some impressions from the Kassel workshop 2017
Course schedule and content for 2020
Online seminar: April-June 2020
The online module consists of twelve 90-minute sessions of lectures, reading materials, collaborative group work, concept mapping, storyboarding and other diverse active and passive learning tools.
Themes covered in the course are:
- Landscape and democracy
- Participation theories and practices
- Community and identity
- The design process
- Communication and representation
- More details on the schedule will be published soon.
Conditions for participation and credits
Participation in the online seminar is free and open to students at any institution as well as the general public.
There are no registration fees. Participation is possible in two modes.
Full participation includes:
- regular attendance of the online class (or working with the seminar recordings in due time)
- completion of the seminar coursework and group assignments
- academic recognition of up to 5 ECTS
- visitation of online seminar sessions either in real time or through video recordings;
- possibility to do a final assessment
- please contact info(at)led-project.org
- Find us on Facebook
- LE:NOTRE Institute (coordinator), an international foundation based in Wageningen, Netherlands.
- Nürtingen-Geislingen University, Nürtingen, Germany
- Szent István University, Faculty of Landscape Architecture, Budapest, Hungary
- KulturActiv, NGO, Budapest, Hungary
- University of Bologna, Department of Architecture, Italy
- ETABETA, NGO, Bologna, Italy
- SLU, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden